evaluation measurement and verification
Our work seeks to promote and advance the evaluation of energy efficiency and clean energy policies and programs in the U.S. and internationally. The impact and process evaluations that are conducted are aimed to quantify the impacts of a particular program or policy (e.g., kWh saved or CO2 emissions reduced) and to improve the design and implementation of existing and new programs and policies.
As the lead National Laboratory for the U.S. Department of Energy, we are managing evaluations in the following areas:
- Better Buildings Neighborhood Program
- Fuel Cells Initiative
- Wind Powering America
- Battery Storage
- Evaluation of DOE energy programs
- Evaluation assistance to California Public Utilities Commission
- Evaluation assistance to China Energy Group on evaluation of standards, labels and incentive programs
- Development of evaluation training courses for DOE staff
- The China Energy Group at LBNL is designing guidance documents for evaluating codes, standards and incentive programs in China
- LBNL has been providing assistance in organizing the premier evaluation conference, the International Energy Program Evaluation Conference (IEPEC). IEPEC organizes evaluation conferences every two years in the U.S., and has held two conferences in Europe (Paris in 2010 and Rome in 2012)
"Preliminary Energy Savings Impact Evaluation: Better Buildings Neighborhood Program, Final Report", Research Into Action Inc., November 2013
"Preliminary Process and Market Evaluation: Better Buildings Neighborhood Program", Research Into Action and NMR Group, 2013
"The Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Verification of Energy Efficiency Projects," 2000, Edward Vine and Jayant Sathaye, Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 5: 189-216.
“Training the Next Generation of Energy Efficiency Evaluators,” 2013, Edward Vine, William Saxonis, Jane Peters, Bobbi Tannenbaum and Bob Wirtshafter. Energy Efficiency, 6(2): 293-303 (2013) (published online on Oct. 14, 2012).
Better Buildings, Inc.
BP Consulting, Inc.
California Institute of Energy and Environment
David Carey Associates
New Building Institute
Public Policy Advising, Inc.
Research Into Action
Research Triangle Institute
Rita Norton & Associates
Strategic Analysis Inc.
Vistera Consulting Group